5 TIPS FOR PLANNING YOUR DREAM BEACH WEDDING
1. It’s not about the destination (wedding), it’s about the journey. From day one of planning, keep a free-spirited, open mind. No matter how much you consider provisions, if Poseidon comes to town, you’ve got to be just as happy with your backup plan. Now with that said, be sure to have a backup plan. Most resorts and venues offer optional areas for ceremonies, or if your locale is a bit more remote, be sure to book something nearby as an alternative — just in case! Also, study the weather patterns of your desired spot, as to avoid playing it fast and loose with rainy season.
2. Believe in the sand beneath your toes. There’s nothing like a barefoot bride! If you truly want to capture the essence of a beach wedding, opt for the effortless beauty of barefoot sandals or flat sandals. Big gown? Probably not the best idea... Choose a dress that will flow gently in the ocean’s breeze, avoid lace trims that could catch sand or debris and go with a fabric that will breathe in heat.
3. Hair-say. Long, wavy locks are simply stunning and suit the gypsy spirit, but if wind picks up, there’s nothing calming about a “strands-in-teeth” situation — not to mention, it’s harder to capture that perfect photograph if hair is constantly covering your blissful smile. Soft updos are a pretty possibility, plus they help keep you cool by freeing your neck and shoulders. Still, if you strongly prefer the relaxed and down style, think about fastening front strands back with the likes of fresh flowers. Better yet, do what you wish, just have someone on site (a friend, mom, MOH, whoever) that is trained with backup pins to get your ’do settled if necessary.
4. Veils needn’t RSVP. Anyone marrying outdoors ponders the use of a veil. While a slight breeze is fine, anything else could send the thing flying and that’s not a distraction worth having. Many beach bride's turn to flower crowns since they manage hair and add an extra accent in replace of a veil. We love the idea of adding a hat to your bridal ensemble, it makes great pics and keeps that face out of the sun - multipurpose!
- Carefree and careful. If you pay attention to details: runners for hot sand, sunscreen, umbrellas, water bottles, etcetera, a beach wedding is peaceful and brilliant, but as with any bright idea, there’s always a few things to think about.